Originally from NYC, Lynn graduated from Pratt Institute. She lived the farm-to-table experience for 8 years after moving to a farm in Maine in 1983 and photographing her life living with the seasons. She has an impressive list of employers and clients over her four-decade career shooting fashion for WWD and Was the first woman staff photographer, as well as photographing gardens, food and interiors for Country Living magazine, House Beautiful, The New York Times Magazine, New York Magazine, Coastal Living, Gourmet, Design New England, BH&G, Garden Design, Organic Gardening, British Gardens Illustrated, Rizzoli Books, The Clean Program, L.L.Bean, Swans Island Company, Rockport Granite and Zest magazine.
Sole photographer of three award-winning garden/lifestyle books, she now adds fine art photography to the mix and works with clients in the food world. Lynn’s body of work is purely personal. It is about the obvious but often overlooked beauty of the harvest. Visits to photograph at local Maine farmer’s markets took a new direction when she brought a stunning purple cauliflower back to her studio and placed it on an old white pedestal by an east-facing window, honoring vegetables by literally placing them on a higher level. Lynn triumphs in showing her reverence for the remarkable colors and forms in the garden. “The Pedestal Series” and “The Tray Series” evoke, through beauty that is also sustenance, a sense of connectedness to this planet. She has also added simple man-made kitchen objects in her still lifes again showing good design can be found everywhere if you take the time to really look.
Lynn‘s newest portrait series “Still Lives: Stories in Profile” takes on human subjects this time and shows the side that is often not seen and observed—the profile. “Photographing a person in profile is like discovering that person all over again.”
Lynn‘s limited edition prints are available at galleries and select shops and are held by corporate and private collectors throughout the US and Europe.
“One day, I discovered an incredibly beautiful purple cauliflower at the Belfast farmers’ market (Maine), brought it to my studio to photograph, and my life took another turn,” she said.”
~ Lynn Karlin
BOOKS & CALENDARS
Maine Farm, A Year of Country Life, written by Stanley Joseph; Random House.
Gardens Maine Style and Gardens Maine Style Act 11, written by Rebecca Sawyer-Fay; Downeast Books
Simply Raw wall calendars; Amber Lotus Publishing; recipes by Matthew Kenney; 2013–2018
2017- The London International Creative Competition, Fine Art, The Tray Series
2017- Prix De La Photographie Paris; Gold Award, Fine Art, Still Life Series
2017- 10th Annual Pollux- Gala Awards- Winner in Portraits Category
2017- 12th Annual Black & White Spider Awards, Still Life
2016- International Color Award: Honorable Mention; Food Category
2016- 8th Edition Julia Margaret Cameron Award; Winner in Fine Art Category.
2015- 10th Annual Black & White Spider Awards; Outstanding Achievement in the Still Life Category.
2015- Prix De La Photographie Paris; Gold Award, Fine Art, Still Life Series
2015- Garden Writers Association; Gold Award for Best Photography.
2015- 7th Edition Julia Margaret Cameron Award; Winner in Still Life & Abstractions Category.
2015- 7th Pollux Awards; Runner-up, Still Life category.
2015- Griffin Museum of Photography’s 21st Juried Exhibition; Winchester, MA.
2015- International Color Award; Honorable Mention; Food.
2015- ArtForward; Bronze Award Winner.
2014- London International Creative Competition Honorable Mention.
2014 – The Center for Fine Art Photography; Fort Collins, Colorado; International Still Life Competition; Best of Show.
2013 – San Francisco International Photography Exhibition, Gallery Photographica; Gold Medal Winner.
2013 – Photo District News, Objects of Desire; Food and Still Life Category.
2013 – Garden Writers Association Media Awards, Silver Awards of Achievement for Photography in 4 categories.
2012 – Merit Award, Color + B/W Magazine.
ONGOING EXHIBITS AND REPRESENTATION:
- Maine Farmland Trust – Belfast, Maine.
- Kingman Gallery – Deer Isle, Maine.
- Vox Photographs – Portland, Maine.
- Leslie Curtis Design – Camden, Maine.
- Argazzi Art – Lakeville, CT
- Blackbird of Calistoga – Calistoga, CA.; 707-341-3080.
- Maine Museum of Photographic Arts, 5th floor of Glickman Library; Portland, Maine; June 15- Sept. 15; Contemporary Portraiture 2018; Opening reception June 14, 6-8 pm.
- Warm Springs Gallery; Warm Springs, VA.; Solo Show, Still Lifes; May 17- July 1, 2018
- Maine Farmland Trust Gallery, Belfast, Maine; Summer Stable; June 4-August 31; Opening Reception July 27, 5-8 pm.
- The Center for Fine Art Photography; Fort Collins, Colorado; Portraits 2018 with juror Paul Martineau; Dec. 27- Jan. 27, 2018
- 4th Biennial of Fine Art & Documentary Photography; Berlin, Germany; 2016.
- Maine Farmland Trust, Belfast, Maine; Solo Show; October 2016.
- Griffin Museum of Photography; “Nourish”; Boston, MA.; 2015
- Griffin Museum of Photography’s 21st Juried Exhibition; Winchester, MA.; 2015.
- Kingman Gallery, Deer Isle, Maine; “Inspired from Nature”; Solo Show; 2015.
- Islesford Dock Restaurant & Gallery; Little Cranberry Island, Maine; 2015.
- Vox Photographs; Portland, Maine; “Natural”; 2015.
- The Boston Print Fair at Boston Design Week 2015; Represented by 555 Gallery,
- The Center for Fine Art Photography; Fort Collins, Colorado; International Still Life Competition; Best of Show; 2014.
- Maine Farmland Trust Gallery, solo show; “Natural Beauties”; Belfast, ME.; 2014.
- James Beard House Greenhouse Gallery, NYC; 2013.
- San Francisco International Photography Exhibition, Gallery Photographica; 2013.
- Gallery on the Green, Pawling, New York; 2012. (See Anne Raver’s write-up in The New York Times above.)
- Ethel H. Blum Gallery, College of the Atlantic; Bar Harbor, Maine; 2011.
- Palmina F. & Stephen S. Pace Galleries of Fryeburg Academy – Fryeburg, Maine; 2012.
- George Marshall Store Gallery, York, Maine; 2012.
- Anita Pegnini-Raber Gallery, Rehoboth Beach, DE.; 2011.
- Hammertown stores and galleries, Rhinebeck & Pine Plains, New York; 2010.
- Carver Hill Gallery, Rockport, Maine; 2010.
Maine Media Workshops, Rockport, Maine; Still Life & Styling; 2017; www.mainemedia.edu
Warm Springs Gallery
12 Katydid Trail
Warm Springs, VA 24484
Gallery & Cafe Hours
April 1 – December 31, 2021
Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday
11 am – 3 pm
Eigth Annual Bath County
Plein Air Festival
September 27 – October 3, 2021
For seven days artists will paint picturesque scenes throughout Bath County. Visitors and locals will have the unique opportunity to observe artists as they paint on location.